Glen Albyn

Closed 1983

Water source Loch Ness

Established in 1840 on the site of a brewery. Devastated by fire in 1849. Distilling resumed in 1950. 1860s saw the distillery closed and the buildings transformed into a flour mill. Rebuilt in 1884 with direct rail link to main line, annual output now around 75,000 gallons, later output was to reach 320,000 gallons. Silent 1917-19 when used as a US Naval base. The worm pipes were not circlur in section but shaped like a 'D' this was to cool the spirit quicker to improve the flavour. Demolished in 1988 to make way for a shopping centre.

Last update 24th December 2001.