Balblair
refresh map
Highland

Meaning Battlefield

Water source is Allt Dearg 4 miles from the distillery

Balblair Distillery
Edderton
Tain
Ross-shire
IV19 1LB
Tel 01862 821273

One of the older distilleries dating back to 1790. In 1872 the distillery was expanded, the old building becoming a bonded warehouse. Silent between 1911 and 1949 although a skeleton staff was maintained until the early 1930s. Commandeered by the Army during WW11. The maltings closed in 1975. The original rivited wash still remains, the only surviving example in Scotland. Prior to fire breaks being installed Balblair had the longest warehouse of any distillery in Scotland.

Last updated 24th December 2004